
There is something about these watches that I really like, and I can't explain it from a "behavior" or "function" perspective -- they just look great to me. It's clearly an emotion and meaning thing. I've tried to figure out why I think I simply must have one, but there is no clear reason other than pure, raw, want. So far, I'm trying to resist: I haven't even checked into prices because they might cost a bizillion dollars and then I would be so disappointed knowing they were out of reach. Then, they would become some sort of weird obsession and I find myself starring at the web site.
Oh, wait, that was getting a bit strange, especially from your professor. OK. Cool watches. 'nuf said.
4 comments:
*psst. i did the work for you...and they aren't that expensive...i agree though, the design of them is very appealing.
I followed the link to the rest of the watches and I find most of them to be VERY appealing. I like the little humor that the designers are using such as the "loves me, loves me not" watch. It's an interesting take on something that has become a classic look. As for the watch on the post, I enjoy the look but don't quite understand the functionality. Maybe seeing it in person (once Matt buys it) will help.
I found it interesting that on the site, the designers have acknowledged the fact that the functionality of watches has become useless because of cell phones but they say that their appealing aspect has created an alternative functionality.
I think Andrew's insight is a really good one. Plus, I missed that comment. So, wrist watches are becoming more about meaning, fashion, identify -- something other than function. Fashion is probably part of it, but there seems to be something more in what Andrew is pointing to. Something more about identify -- a statement about who I am, what I stand for, what matters to me, the image I want to project. Am I off base?
Post a Comment