Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Grades & Success?


OK, this is not so much about innovation, but it is about life. Do good grades predict success? The answer is pretty loud and pretty clear: NO! They don't predict much, except future grades. Interesting that we spend so much time on them here at ND, huh? There is a ton of research on this subject (check out the "About" portion of our website for some links to this research). This is an entertaining blog on the subject.

3 comments:

Joe McBrayer said...

When can we get rid of grades? They put undo pressure and stress on getting the grades or maintaining the grades instead of what is actually being learned. Memorization doesn't necessarily result in learning.

Scott Meier said...

I would agree. There are many classes that I have done well in as far as grades are concerned, but have come out feeling like I didn't really learn anything. Obviously the latter should be what is really important.

CatherineCarrell said...

Grades add so much stress to my daily life...to the extent that they can control me in a sense. With so much going on, my last priority is my homework sometimes, and it feels terrible. But should it? I don't have time to spend two hours doing finance one night...should that really make such an impact?